Dealing with delays is a major home remodeling challenge because it’s often unpredictable and can happen anytime. But, knowing what causes delays can help you anticipate and plan them. Here are some common causes of remodeling delays that you should anticipate.
- Weather – Extreme weather is the most common and the least controllable cause of remodeling delays. Certain projects like re-roofing or house painting can’t be done while it’s raining, but fortunately, window replacement can. Most installation work is done under the roof, and our team isn’t deterred by rain. And in the rare instance that we can’t make it due to extreme weather, we’ll make sure to let you know and complete it as soon as humanly possible.
- Suppliers – A typical contractor’s supply chain includes manufacturers or distributors who supply the materials. If one of these suppliers gets delayed for some reason, it causes a domino effect that ultimately delays the project. Being a full-service replacement window company, Renewal by Andersen® has full control of our supply chain, including manufacturing the replacement windows and patio doors themselves, further preventing delays.
- Subcontractors – Some contractors could also have subcontractors in their supply chain. Subcontractors are basically a third party hired by contractors to do the the actual installation work. Delays happen if the contractor couldn’t find a subcontractor to hire for a particular project. Again, this is not a problem with a full-service company like ourselves. We have our own ever-present installation team who can ensure consistent results, every time.
- Permits – The City of St. Louis requires permits for many kinds of remodeling projects, which often takes three to five days for the City Building Division to process after the contractor applies for it. Fortunately, replacement windows don’t require permits, except when you’re working on restoration work on a property located within a City Historic District or is a City L andmark.
- Pre-existing conditions – Pre-existing conditions are issues that would not have been revealed until the project is well under way, like rotten roof decks or mold in the exterior walls. Depending on the extent and complexity of the issue, this may slow down the installation. At Renewal by Andersen, we are well-prepared for possible pre-existing issues. In addition to having a trained installation team, we also arrive early to maximize installation time.
To learn more about how we manage installation work for our replacement windows and patio doors, call Renewal by Andersen® of St. Louis today at (314) 332-2364, or fill out our contact form to schedule a free in-home consultation with our experts. We serve St. Louis, MO and nearby areas.